28 August 2010

Really?


So Joshua is barely a year old, and somebody at church asked me if I was expecting. "Nope." I guess that means it's about time for me to further my role in multiplying and replenishing. I've had enough time for myself, now it's time to be selfless again.

This individual continued to say that she thought I was showing a little bit. "Oh really? That's a good thing to hear 12 months later..." So, I guess it's not a surprise to tell you that I haven't lost all my baby weight after 12 months. But, really, does that give you a right to say something like that? Showing? Isn't that a 2-3 month stage development?

I keep forgetting that I can say rudish things when people say blatantly rude things to me. But what should I have said? I was completely taken off guard. But if I'm entering this next phase where everyone expects I have news to share...I'd better get my whits together. Suggestions?

8 comments:

  1. I was asked about a month ago if I was expecting, but it was nicely said from my caring aunt, so my situation was different. I think by you just replying "No" to the person, she ought to feel bad enough not to repeat that in the future. Of course, some people don't really catch on to the proper etiquette when it comes to that kind of thing. I think you can honestly say "Umm, no, I'm not pregnant and it kind of makes me self conscious you asking about my weight like that." Sorry, it's a lost reply, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I can't believe they said that. Was this person a male? My husband asks me embarrassing things like that about other people, but at least he only asks me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have started an equally embarrassing saga about how you have to stop breast-feeding at a year and how weight watchers just wasn't cutting it. I don't know, but I was actually thinking yesterday that you look great! (And if that doesn't help you feel better, I'll see you in a few days and all you need to do is stand next to me. That will be proof of how great you look!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, after she found out that you were, in fact, NOT expecting, it was totally RUDE of her to say that it looked like you were showing!!! Rude! At that point I would have asked her if she were pregnant, whether she was married or not, whether she had any fat on her at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, some people. Does she read your blog? If so, maybe now is a good time to invite her :) A little guilt trip for being rude might not be a bad idea.
    I think you look great Emily. I never lost the last 10 lbs. of Brooklyn's baby weight. What can you do. Babies change your bod.
    Unfortunately, for me atleast, baby #2 started showing at 6 weeks...
    And I don't care if you have a 1 year old or a 15 year old, you gave up your selfishness when you got pregnant with Joshua. Better yet, you probably gave it up when you got married. Selfishness? Do you even recognize the word anymore?
    My suggestion for what you could respond with? Well, maybe I'd better not verbalize that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From your recent photos, I can't tell you haven't lost your baby weight. You're still beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone, You're way nice! Thanks so much. Just what the doctor ordered... Have a glorious week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's crazy! I can't believe someone would say that! Emily, you are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us