06 April 2011

Lesson learned...

A few of you may remember a few years ago, as missionaries in Nauvoo, that we discovered how difficulty it is to clean up after using oil-based paint products. While a full-time missionary in Nauvoo Illinois, we had the opportunity to scrape and repaint the black fencing surrounding the Nauvoo Temple. I remember it being long and hot days with no shade in August, but we had a good time, and enjoyed working with our hands and wearing pants for a while.

Curtis, Waldvogel, Rich, Tjarks, Martin, Roundy, Price

Sanders, Mullins

Mullins, Bailey

I was thinking about those fun days with a my sisters that I will never forget spending my summers with. I always think of the Sisters when I watch General Conference. But I had a different reason to reflect on those days today. I was trying to get a project done, and realized while trying to tidy up for a break that I had been using an oil-based product. Trying to wash up, I asked myself "I didn't expect this to take so much time to clean up. I doubt that in Nauvoo we just let our hands be black in the Visitor's Center. I must be forgetting a step." I dug out old photos, and sure enough, I did miss a BIG step...We used latex gloves while painting the fence. It was a good thing, or else we would have looked like this:




I wonder how long my hand will look like this. Oh well, I might as well finish my project tonight so I only have to clean up once...Next time, I'll remember the gloves.

7 comments:

  1. ps. mineral spirits works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha!! That cracks me up! Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is amazing ha ha ha we miss you! hope things are goin well for you guys! make sure to let us know if you plan a trip out west anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty funny! I remember those good old days! If you really want to get the paint of your hands quickly, try paint thinner(mineral spirits).....not the healthiest but it gets the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see a picture of what you were painting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! That is great! I am going back and catching up a little bit on your blog. Looks like you've had a fun summer.

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us