07 July 2009

The Soft Spot

Emily's last post got reflective and she mused "are we ready" and "are we mature enough".

Emily! Come on! Look at who you're talking to. I'm an expert at raising baby boys. I learned everything you need to know with my little brothers, Christopher and Matthew. Let me tell you:
1) Don't pick the baby up by the head.
2) Don't set the baby down on his head.
3) Don't hold him without supporting his head.
and no matther how tempting it is...
4) Don't push the soft spot on the top of his head.

Seriously, the number 4 rule has been seared into my brain. Apparently I had a hard time following this rule (sorry if there has been any permanent damage, Christopher). I don't remember my mom ever yelling at me about me pushing my 5-year-old finger into my brothers brain, but I sure remember the complete fear that has been drilled into my brain from whatever disciplining was given me.

Now Emily and I love petting her belly, feeling the near constant kicking, and watching the movement, but sometimes when our son pushes out Emily likes to push back. She probes and tries to figure out what body part is extruding itself. It is all I can do to resist literally yelling, "Stop, that might be his head." I know that this fear of mine is irrational, but it is really a fear. I am actually afraid to poke back because I never want to break rule number 4. That's all I learned as a 5 year old brother... Don't touch the soft spot. I know it's always tempting. It's like a little button, but Don't Touch It.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, don't worry-- he's protected, despite the probing. Besides, I've got to admit, that was one of my favorite things to do. It was awesome when I could find a body part AND identify it.
    I wasn't worried about the soft spot as much as I was worried about poking Brooklyn's eyes out and making her blind. :) but she's fine!
    wierd how you're paranoid about the soft spot. I am too! Hmm... something about our upbringing I suppose...
    not to worry-- babies are much tougher than you think, even as newborns.

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us