22 October 2009

tricks or reminders

This is for all the moms out there. How many days have you gone where you feel absolutely lop-sided? Nursing on the left or nursing on the right. This basic decision is sometimes more than I can make without feeling myself up in public. And when I choose unwisely, not only does it feel uncomfortable, but it also sorta hurts. I've found myself reliving this nightmare on more than a handful of occasions, and I'm never quite sure how to remedy the problem.

My mother suggested I pin a safety pin on which side I just finished...or is it which side I start with next time? I can't ever remember the system, so having the safety pin hasn't helped me much.

I have started to wear an extra ring, on the hand that I need to nurse next. I can remember to swap the ring to the other hand in almost 80% of the times when I should. And then one of the most horrible things happened. I forgot my ring one day. And I was so confused all day until I could get home. I couldn't think of any way to successfully know where to start with the next feeding.

Luckily I have only forgotten my ring once, but I need your help. What are some tricks that have worked for you? I am wide open for suggestions, and success stories.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom, obviously. But I do have a suggestion.

    You feed every three hours, right? So, when you feed once it will be on an odd hour, and when you feed next it will be an even hour. Odd hours are for the left boob and even hours are for the right one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend had a braclet. Its one of those plastic ones that they have in multiple colors like for breast cancer awarnes and stuff like that. Anyway you turn it inside out when you are done breast feeding. One side has left and the other side says right..then it also has times on it and you move this marker to show the last time you feed the baby and it comfortable enough to sleep in. If you interested I can ask where she got it. She has twins so she really needed a system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey em, I just chose 2 songs, they happened to be: "choose the right", and "we thank thee oh God for a prophet" When I was done nursing and I needed to start with the right side next time I sang "Choose the right" in my head until the next feeding. if I needed to start with the left I sang the other song. I chose that song because it says "Latter days" and the L in latter reminded me to start with the left. I think the other song was chosen for obvious reasong ;)! I mean sure it wasn't without it's flaws, especially if I got on a song kick and forgot wich song I started out singing, but most of the time is worked for me.

    Yeah, cheesy I know, but I didn't have to remember and extra piece of clothing or anything like that, I could do it wherever I was. that's why I chose the song method.

    Hope that helps, or atleast makes you laugh!!!
    love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally think your ring idea is great! I'll have to use that with this next one! I have other suggestions for you though. I oculd never seem to remember either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just do the elastic band on the wrist that i am to start with next time.
    the trick with any method though will be remembering to use it and switch each time. good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us