28 March 2009

"Guess and Check" Morality

I must first give praise to Emily for being the best pregnant wife ever. She never complains, acts sick, or eats laundry detergent, like some pregnant women do. Still, pregnancy has been quite the roller coaster ride... like riding a roller coaster blindfolded, so you can never prepare for the next whiplash turn or stomach wrenching free-fall.

There was once a time in my life when I knew right from wrong. Of course, I still made wrong choices when I didn't think things through carefully or when I was just being contrary, but I could always think back about the decision and decide what the right choice was.
Well, either my mental capacity has reverted to my seven year old level (highly possible) or something fundamental about this universe's administrator of justice has changed. The justice of this universe seems to be directly linked to my wife's hormone levels which vary unpredictably and on the timescale of seconds.
I have completely lost the ability to decide what the "correct" choice is, no matter how hard I think about the situation. Even the used-to-be-easy decisions have become muddled.

"Hey honey, hows you're day?"
"You're making dinner again? Why are you cooking? You think I'm incapable don't you? You wish you'd never married me... I can tell. I'm no good for you... sniff, sniff."
"Emily, I love you"
"Don't say things like that and expect it to fix things! "

wow, two strikes already. Making dinner and saying I love you. Clearly those were two very bad choices, but no amount of careful analysis could have predicted those were going to blow up on me.
Everything becomes trial and error. should I pick up my dirty socks?... only way to find out if that is the second unpardonable sin is to try... looking cautiously over my shoulder to see if the administrator of justice approves.
There is no predicting. No deriving. No logic. No relying on past choices.

Just Guess and Check.

6 comments:

  1. Funny! I was experiencing some of this myself today, trying to decide if I was mad or not, and I'm not even pregnant! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Benjamin. Keep at him Emily. Someday he will get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully this came across as funny, not mean. Emily is great.

    Also, I had a hard time writing this post. I couldn't really convey the tone of voice and facial expressions needed so use some imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a really good laugh about this one. Some days it's just hard to exist. :) Unfortunately, Andrew still gets the whiplash and the baby's here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben and Emily!
    Congratulations on the baby! It's fun to see yall on here!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benjamin, this was great! So funny!!! My husband can totally relate. (Not currently, of course. Whew!) :) Aren't pregnancy hormones just great!? :D

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us