17 March 2009

Shoes


I have a confession to make! I own 45 pairs of shoes.....What in the world?!?

We are slowly trying to thin out our possessions, since we're moving before long. So, we lined up all my shoes so that I could make rational decisions about which pairs to donate away. We kept lining them up, then we found more in the back of the closet, and kept lining them up. And we found more in our other closet, and it kept going and going.

In my defense (it's lame, I know), I need comfortable shoes for by internships and my clinical therapy sessions. Typically brown or black...and I always keep my eye out for some more pairs that fit that criteria. I also have a number of Sunday shoes that are leftover from my mission, and then some cute Sunday shoes that my sisters encouraged me to get right when I got home. They hurt my feet, and leave funny sores, so I never wear them, but I think they are cute, and I INTEND to be cute, so they stay.....Not anymore. They're outta here.

So, I thinned out, and have a small number of them that I will keep until I finish my internships, and then they will stay in Utah when we move. I won't tell you how many I still have, but just rest assured that I have fewIt feels nice to know I'm thinning out. It also feels silly that the "girl" stereotype of having so many shoes has definitely found place in my life. Hopefully I can keep a better handle on it in the future.



At least I can honestly say that I DID NOT pay full price for ANY pair of shoes that I have. Some have been around since high school, others were inherited from roommates or sisters. Still others are DI or clearance options.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't even have that many! I should tell my husband...maybe he'll let me buy more ;) j/k. How exciting to clean and get rid of stuff. I just did that - I threw out shirts and shoes that I never wear, and it felt GOOD! :) It's amazing to me how much cleaning and organizing I do when I should be thesising away! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor poor Benjamin. I built Carlie a shoe rack and it has about 20 or so slots and she decided that she will only have that many pairs of shoes. (she had a similar awakening) It has been a good thing for now. I doubt that it will last though. Seriously why so many shoes? Emily you beat Carlie in this one. I know someone who would give you a run for your money though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whatever. that is nothing to be ashamed of. you are hurting no one. you sould get rid of shoes you don't wear or that hurt your feet. there is no need for those in your life. but if you had 45 pair of good shoes that you wear...who is it hurting? you just have a problem when you move and have to pack them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Carlie...(sniff) I appreciate your pep-talk. The ones I DID get rid of were cluttering, so I still feel good about it. I took a full trunk-load to DI today, and it felt great. There's definitely more things to sort, but one carload is out of the apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you don't feel like a total collector of shoes. My colleague has over 100 pairs and she doesn't want to depart from them! So that is great to clean!

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us