31 March 2009

Not Fat ENOUGH?!?

So, I'm in my 18th week of pregnancy, and things are going well. I had an appointment a couple weeks ago, and all is great. We have set up our sono appointment, too, so we'll know if we're having a Benjamin or an Emily in less than two weeks!!! We're pretty excited. I realize that different days (or different times of the day), I want a boy, or I want a girl....I can't decide. Good thing it's not up to me. Benjamin always wants a boy.

Last week, I talked with somebody, and she had her little "chart" in front of her, and she told me that I wasn't gaining enough weight. She told me I was 4-5 pounds lighter than I should be by this stage in my pregnancy. She told me I should try to eat 300 more calories each day. I was a little bit surprised to hear this news..."Is she actually telling me I'm too skinny? America is already FAT enough!!!" But after thinking about it, and talking to an all-knowing and EXPERIENCED sister or two, I'm no longer concerned.

Besides, I've never eaten so healthy in my life...I mean, in terms of what I take into my body, I've never been so aware of whether it is nutritious or not. I'm getting a much more balanced diet than ever. So can you blame me for gaining slowly after nearly eliminating deep-frying foods from my weekly diet? (and we did typically have dinner fried two or three times a week) And trying to eat more carrots, instead of candy? We got some good sweets over Christmas, and generally, I would expect the candy to be scarce in our apartment by President's Day. But we still have a full bowl in our living room. I appreciate the help in snacking on it when we have game nights (thanks Merry and Katie...it wouldn't be fun to see the full bowl every day!!).

So, pretty much, the moral of the story is, I'm going to eat a little more candy. And ice cream. I'll keep being healthy, but I'm going to indulge, too.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Em. You sound like a pro! There are all kinds of "measurements" etc but in all honesty, no two pregnancies are the same, and no two people handle pregnancy the same way! You sound pretty darn healthy to me. And that baby is totally being taken care of! (Minus the second hand smoke...) I can't wait to hear about the sex of the baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah!! Man you better believe I ate every one of those extra 300 calories when I was pregnant. I totally justified that extra scoop of ice cream and handfull of m&m's. :) I can't wait to hear what you're having!!! You better call me pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you. You have always been a tiny little thing. That chart might be off but you are not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily! I just stumbled upon your blog and was so excited to see that you are expecting too. I am just a week or so ahead of you. Who cares about the weight guidelines, I am sure you're doing perfectly fine. I can't wait to hear how your sonogram goes!

    ReplyDelete

Want to talk, just call us